Monday, October 26, 2009

The October Horror Movie Gauntlet

The Next Five Days

Oct. 24 - Hocus Pocus (1993) - It had been years since I had seen this one, and it's actually a sort of fun ride. It's a fairly fun kids movie with some kind of funny sequence, but it is totally scare-free. You notice I'm not using in real definitive terms here. That's because the movie left me really teetering on the edge. It's not good, really, but it's not bad, completely anyway. It's just sort of there and might be worth a watch if there's nothing else on. When I was a kid I remeber really enjoying the movie, but watching as an adult I guess any magic that the film had is really kind of lost. Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that Sarah Jessica Parker looks pretty nice in her bodice, but I digress. Overall, the film gets a very mediocore 5/10

Oct. 23 - The Addams Family (1991) - I'm a very big fan of The Addams Family. Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of being in such a macabre familial setting, surround by loving, yet sinister family members. Obviously the show was fantastic as well, but I was really glad that they took it one step further in the film. It's a dark and hilarious film filled with some amazing gags and great choices in every role. Raul Julia really becomes his own Gomez, not really taking up where John Astin left off, but really creating a new character for himself. One thing that I have always wanted to see, in some alternate reality, would have been Tim Burton doing The Addams Family. I think that's tailor-made. And I could actually see him casting Johnny Depp in the Gomez role, to boot! 7.5/10

Oct. 22 - The Burning (1981) - I was kind of late to the party when it came to The Burning, only having seen it once it (finally) hit DVD. But, even with that being the case it has quickly become one of my favorite slashers of all time. There is certainly something about slashers from the early eighties that really pique my interest. There's a real DIY innocence to these films that is both endearing and ballsy that really makes me appreciate them on a level all their own. By now, I think everyone knows the story of how Tom Savini turned down Friday the 13th to work on this picture, and his expertise really benefitted the picture (especially in the raft scene - you know the one). Cropsy, while not as compelling as the Jason character, is a decent enough villain, the kills are great, and it's just a fun ride. In a genre where the majority of the films are poorly made, it's refreshing to find one that can stand on its own as a good movie. 6.5/10

Oct. 21 - A Nightmare on Elm St. (1984) - Looking back at the original film, it's easy to see how different the franchise could have been if it had stayed the course with the darker tone. In the first film, Freddy does act a little snarky, but he's nowhere near the Loki-esque prankster that he turns into in the subsequent films (especially Part Three and on). It would have been even more interesting to play him as an even darker character - maybe focusing on the atrocities he commited with the children whilst alive. I think the remake is actually supposed to address that while keeping the black mood alive. I hope so. I can honestly say that the ANOES remake is the only one that I would pay money to see. Not that I think Haley will be better than Englund, but it will be intersting to see a different take on the character. 8/10

No comments:

Olympic Artichoke banners designed by Whalehead

Email us: olympicartichoke@live.com