Top Ten Robots Ever
Everyone loves robots! Be they the type that are made to serve you, or the type made to eviscerate you, robots are cool. And they've been staples in fiction for years and years now. So, here are my top ten robots...ever:
10. Johnny 5 - You remember this little bastard from Short Circuit 1 and 2. I haven't seen the movies in years, but them when I was a kid. I'm sure they still hold up (um-hm).
9. Robby the Robot - Robby is the robot that belongs to Mobius in the seminal sci-fi film Forbidden Planet. He was also used in a number of other films and TV shows through-out the 1950's and 1960's. He's probably the coolest looking robot ever.
8. The Iron Giant - The Iron Giant is the titular character from the 1999 animated movie. Oft overlooked, The Iron Giant is a really good movie. Check it out. Su-per-man.
7. BATs- These Battle Android Troopers were the robotic minions of Cobra, a ruthless, terrorist organizaion built on world conquest. They were pretty easy to kill, but the toys were especially cool because you could switch out their hands for various weapons (blow torch, anyone?).
6. Krang's Robot Body (Exosuit) - Krang is an evil warlord from Dimension X that appears in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series. He had a couple of different ways to get around, but the absolute coolest was his exosuit. Look at that thing! Awesome. Plus the toy was amazing. Something like 12" tall. Oh, and somebody plllease, get this T-shirt made!
5. ED-209 - Enforcement Droid Series 209 is the beast of a robot from RoboCop that serves as the only true competition for RoboCop. Its arms are giant machine guns!
4. IG-88 - A robot bounty hunter that was hired by the Evil Galactic Empire to search out the Millenium Falcon in The Empire Strikes Back, IG-88 didn't get very much screen time. This travesty has been rectified in numerous novels in which he is declared the "second greatest bounty hunter in the universe" (after Boba Fett).
3. Gort - Klaatu barada nikto! Built from a single piece of flexible metal, Gort is a robot that could destroy the world if he wanted to. If you aren't familiar with him, check out The Day the Earth Stood Still before the remake comes out.
2. Optimus Prime - No, Michael Bay did not create Optimus Prime. Before that movie, there was a weekly cartoon dedicated to Optimus Prime and his crew of Autobots. Plus, come on, he's one of the coolest toys ever.
1.T-101 - This was the model number of the Terminator that Ahnold brought to life in T2. His CPU is a neural net processor; a learning computer. Anyway, I can only think of a scant few sci-fi films that have a better mythos than the world of The Terminator, and the T-101 was one of the coolest heroes ever.
- Jordan M.