Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Top Ten List of the Week

Top Ten Forgotten Toys of My Childhood


In some of these cases, forgotten may be the wrong word. Let's say, less well remembered. So, these are the top ten less remembered toys of my childhood. Not the GI Joes or the Transformers. These are the toys that will eventually be lost to obscurity (if they aren't already).

1. Rambo

2. M.U.S.C.L.E.S.

3. COPS

4. Potato Head Kids - These little guys were basically mini-Mr. Potato Heads that came from their eponymous cartoon. I had a ton of them, and specifically remember the kid in the red hat named spud.

5. Creepy Crawlers

6. Bionic Six

7.Visionaries - The Visionaries are yet another group of action figures that were based on a cartoon show.

8. Inhumanoids - Tendril - Now, this is the anomaly of the list as I never actually had this toy. I did, however, always want this toy. Tendril was one of the titular characters of the show Inhumanoids. I didn't know it at the time, but it's easy to see now that his design was directly influenced by the stories of the great H.P. Lovecraft!

9. McDonald's Muppet Babies Toys - So, these aren't your standard toys, but I happened to love them.

10. Madballs - They have actually re-released Madballs! I found one for my nephew last year for Christmas. I was thrilled, but I don't know about him. Anyway, these were just little baseball sized balls made out of foam that were supposed to be completely disgusting. One of them was a skull, one a cyclops, and all were oozing some kind of green or yellow pus from one of their sockets. It seems like a lot of toys from the eighties were interested in a high "gross out" factor, remember Garbage Pail Kids?

- Jordan M.
Commerce, TX

No comments:

Olympic Artichoke banners designed by Whalehead

Email us: olympicartichoke@live.com